Saturday, February 23, 2008

Podcasting for Beginners


The Queen of R&B, DJ Diva, has challenged me to channel the inner-podcaster within me. I accepted said challenge and have begun the process of gathering gems to launch:

Scribe's 18 Karat Hipsters (yep, Jazz)

Title Explanation:

18 Karat (adj.) --- All the way, full out.The Duke is a classy guy, his heart is "18 karat."

Hipsters (n) - A follower of the various genres of bop jazz in the 50's. These were the
precursors of hippies in the 60's.Those "hipsters" that hang out at Shelly's Manne-Hole are really diggin' the West Coast sound.

What I will play: The Essentials (Coletrane, Adderly, Davis, Montgomery, Roach, Getz, Brubeck, FitzGerald, Holliday, Jordan, etc.)

What I wll not play: All that other ish

No offense, but Jazz to me is not Kenny G, smooth jazz, etc. I understand some like it; podcast it then!

For some reason, Jazz has become this forgotten music, especially among Black people. White folks still make a killing off the art. Oh! Big shout to Herbie Hancock (whom, you won't be hearing...Essentials people, Essentials.) Whenever I play it in my office people look at me like I'm some high-minded, uppity-negro. High-minded? Yes! Uppity? Hardly.

Besides, Jazz is H-O-O-D!

Do you really think people went to see Max Roach at Small's Paradise to sip tea and quote Socrates? Please. Folks went to get high, look cool, party, dance, hook up, get laid, oh and listen to Max Roach. Kinda like us.

So....

Make sure you catch the Monday Mixtape with DJ Diva the "Off-the-Hooked-ness" in the podcasting business at djdiva.blogspot.com.

and...

Please listen to my Demo. (coming soon.)

1 comment:

Nandi Yaa said...

Umm, don't forget Thelonious and Dinah. I gotta hear 'em, or I will let Diva know of my upsettedness with her husband. LMAO

Blog Archive