Monday, May 05, 2008

Mi Cinco De Amor de Mayonesa

I've told this story before in a different way, but May 5th is my unofficial anniversary my love story is a story worth retelling over and over and over.....

"Hey this is Thomas"
"Heeeeeeey."
"I'm um, not sure what you're doing tonight, but if you're free.."
"Actually I'm going out tonight." (I knew it was a date)
"Well, I'll be up if you want to give me a call later okay."
"Oh. Okay."
"Have a good time."


That night, I got a call. It had been about a week since we first started speaking. The first time I heard her voice I felt like we were kindred spirits. She greeted me as if we had known each other for years. Her voice was smoky, sultry, and assuring." In every sentence I could hear, "I will not hurt you." It was perhaps the most safe I had ever felt with a woman, and we hadn't even met. She had sent me pictures and lord have mercy I kept those pictures with me every where I went. No, literally, in the kitchen, the bathroom, to my boy's house, to work, errrrwhere! She was goregeous. But you know the Internet, folks send you pictures looking like a swan and really...well...you know.

"Hey, I'm on way home, the person I went out with was an asshole you want to meet up?"
"Um Yeah. I know a place nearby we can go. You know how to get here?"


After dropping my drink celebrating my luck I realized...I was broke as hell. I had a total of 34 dollars to my name. Then I remembered the little spanish bar on Bainbridge Avenue. It was cool, it was nearby, and furthermore, it was affordable. I got in the car, and my first thought was (and this is the truth) "I'm going to marry this woman." The picture she sent had not done her justice. She was in person, an enchanting flame. However the look on her face as she turned to me was of utter disgust. I thought, oh my god, this woman thinks: A. Here comes another asshole. B. Damn he's ugly! In fact, she was still smarting from her evening and I knew had to do something to make her forget the Chia Pet (Yeah, i saw a pic of dude...Jesus saves, that's all I'm gonna say.)

When we arrived at the bar, the patrons were celebrating Cinco de Mayo and singing spanish karaoke songs. After a about an hour of conversation, drinks, and laughter I knew she was the woman I needed in my life. In a span of a short date, she had peeled back all of my layers, exposed me, and made me feel good about it. In a span of short date, I was reminded of my own power and worth. It is a rare thing indeed to be embraced in such a way and it actually be real. Its the kinda thing men sing on rooftops about (I sang in the shower). I wanted her to sing on stage that night, but would have to wait for another Karaoke night (I wrote a post about it but Blogger ate it.). I guess I wanted her to sing, because she just looked like she belonged there. You ever meet somebody and they feel like a celebrity? I still feel this way about her. That night I felt like I was with a star, and I wanted her to shine. Its the one feeling that hasn't faded with time. Each day, I want Diva to shine brighter and brighter. She's the type of woman to me that shouldn't be bogged down or caged up. A spirit so strong and so bright should be shared and allowed to supernova. We ended up leaving the bar and sitting in the car until dawn talking. Yes, I asked her up, but like a true lady she declined. She missed out too, cause a brother was JUST GOT OUT OF JAIL ready for some.

If there is a wish I have for my love is that she never forgets what her life has meant to mine. I hope she knows, that yes, I am dependent on her love and spirit. I need both to be as bright and strong. I hope she knows that because of her I feel a greater purpose. I hope she knows how grateful I am that a woman of such style, class, dignity and grace gave a poor schlep like me a chance.

I have no gift for her this anniversary, nor do I expect one. My official anniversary isn't until July. This is just a day when two people, who met on My Space, hooked up and created and created a love that will never, ever die.

1 comment:

Saniyya said...

Hey Thomas, it's Shelita from HU. I know I'm a little late but I want to say Congratulations on the nuptials!! Also, may God bless you & Diva with a long and happy marriage! :-)

Blog Archive